This post involves a lot of navel gazing. If you’re not up to hearing about that,
feel free to pass on by. It won’t
bother me, I promise.
Lately
I’ve been experiencing some introspection. I’m 44 years old, almost halfway done with this thing called
life. Have I become who I want to
be? And is that a static thing, or
does that personal ideal change?
I’ve come to the conclusion that it does change and that part of this
thing called adulthood is honing that person who fits us right now, keeping in
mind the big picture of the personal ideal.
This
weekend was a home swim meet. That
meant I was Head Meet Marshal for the weekend. Technically, I’m the head policeperson. My marshals patrol the pool area,
making sure people are safe and not being stupid. (As I said to a teenage boy who climbed up the pole to one
of our permanent overhangs, “just because you CAN do something, doesn’t mean
you SHOULD.”) My job also is to
make sure everyone can walk safely around the pool. This means that I have to oversee where families set up
their pop up tents, and more often than I’d like, tell them that they have to
move their set up. Throughout the
day I walk the pool deck making sure my marshals are doing their job and
everyone is safe. I arrive
at least 2 hours before the meet officially starts to help with getting people
set up and starting the meet and my title means that I can’t leave the meet
until the last swimmer is out of the water. This weekend I arrived at 6:30 am both days and today ran
the longest with me being finished at 4 pm.
I’m
not by nature a punitive kind of person so when I took on this job I was
uncomfortable with the idea of being an enforcer. Instead I decided to look at my role as more like a hostess
or even “camp-host” if you will. I
try to talk with as many people as I can and help out when necessary. When I need to reprimand someone,
usually a kid, I try to do it as kindly as possible. (“It wasn’t you two that I just saw chasing each other
around the deck was it? Why,
you’re old enough to know better than to do that! Imagine if you had slipped and fallen and gotten hurt - your
coach would have killed you!) When
I walk around the pool, I smile, say hello, wish kids good luck on their races,
congratulate them, and celebrate with their parents. I feel like I’m mingling at a party. (A long, exhausting party with hundreds
of strangers, but it’s all in your perspective, right?)
Now
here’s where it connects with the introspection. Today a man I’ve never met before stopped me about mid-day
and said that he wanted to thank me because every time he saw me all weekend I
had a huge smile on my face. I
thanked him, probably blushed 50 shades of red, and continued on my walk. But as the day continued I kept
thinking about that exchange. What
a great statement of the person I am right now. If I were to
suddenly disappear from the planet, people would remember me as someone who
smiled. That is a wonderful
thing. If I make no other mark on
the world for being here, I know that I have made people smile. That is something I can be proud
of. Today, I was the person I want
to be: not perfect by a long shot, but making the world a little better for being
there.
Beautifully put Tracy. I am proud of you, not just because I am your mother, but because you want to make a difference and improve the situation.
ReplyDelete